Shaping eyebrows is considered by most women to be the most difficult part of the beauty basics. How to shape eyebrows is a really easy process, you just have to know a little bit about the eyebrow anatomy. The following is a list of the 4 basic and easy to follow steps to shaping celebrity eyebrows.
Step 1: The Basics:
Before you start tweezing away, here’s the low-down… Your eyebrows should start from the inner corner of your eyes and extend to the outer corner of your eyes. No exceptions!
- Depending on what your face shape is will determine the arch, width and length of the brow.
- The best brow look on everyone is the medium-arched brow (shown on the diagram below).
Step 2: The Balance:
You need to make sure that you are really balancing your features. For instance:
- The stronger your features are on your face, the stronger the brow needs to be.
- You will want to keep your brows thicker if you have larger eyes.
- Pay attention to your specific face shape. If you do not know your face shape then start by pulling your hair back with no makeup on and trace with your index finger, while looking in the mirror, along the outer part of the head. Choose from one of these face shapes; oval, round, square, long, heart, or diamond.
How to Shape Eyebrows Face Shape Guide:
Oval – If this is your face shape you are very lucky, this is the ideal shape everyone tries to achieve through different makeup techniques and brow shaping. So you can chose the shape of your brow by personal preference. Celebrity with an oval face shape is Ashley Judd.
Round – The brows should be highly arched to make face appear more oval. The arch of the brow should be moved out towards the end of the brow, making the tail of the brow shorter. Celebrity with a round face is Vanessa Williams.
Long – The best brow shape would be a horizontal brow with no arch. Celebrity with a long face is Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Square – Strong angled brows balance the strong jawline that comes with the square face shape. The arch is most effective if it is directly above the square of the jaw. Celebrity with a square face is Demi Moore.
Heart – A more rounded brow is the best for this face shape. Celebrity with a heart face is Mariah Carey.
Diamond – A rounded brow or a highly peaked brow is the best. Celebrity with a diamond face is Katharine Hepburn.
Step 3: Eyebrow Color:
There are always color rules, whether you are coloring your hair, painting your nails, applying makeup, or even dieing your eyebrows.
- If you are drastically changing the color of your hair then seek a brow professional to have them determine the color that your eyebrows should be. Otherwise, you can just stick with pencils, powders, and pomades to manage your eyebrows.
- If you are going to use cosmetic products on your brows, always pick shades that are one shade lighter than your hair color, otherwise the brows will look to made up and artificial.
- If you have light hair and wear red lipstick, make your eyebrows darker by using a pencil to color them in.
Step 4: Enhancing the Eyebrow:
Are you trying to figure out what cosmetic products are the best to use on your brows? Just follow these simple rules and you won’t have any more questions.
- Pencils – Only use these when you are trying to lightly fill in the brows to make them appear a little more dramatic. Be careful not to use to go to heavy on the pencil, otherwise it can look way too fake.
- Powder – If the brows are mostly grown in then powder is the best choice. Don’t use this product if there is little hair on the brow because the powder won’t stick.
- Pomade – Use this product if your brows are sparse or have big gaps in them because of the way it adheres to the skin.
- Stencils – Have you heard people say that eyebrows are like fingerprints, no two people’s are the same? This phrase is basically why you do not want to use the eyebrow stencils. You do not want to take away from the uniqueness of your brow shape and this is exactly what stencils do.
How to Shape Eyebrows (Illustrated):
The Explanation on How to Shape Eyebrows:
Point A: This is where your eyebrow should start. To get this starting point, take a pencil and hold it against the side of your nose, taking notice on where the pencil meets the brow.
Point B: To find where it is best for the peak of the arch to start, hold the pencil against your nostril moving it diagonally across the outer half of the iris of your eye. When you tweeze from point A to point B, make sure to taper the brow slightly thinner toward the arch.
Point C: Place the pencil against your nostril, and extend it diagonally to the outer corner of your eye. Where the pencil meets the brow is where it should end. When you tweeze from point B to point C, taper the line even thinner.
Video Instruction: Courtesy of Sephora:
Permalink to this post: How to Shape Eyebrows